Poetry on Loan - West Midlands poetry competition 2017
It's time for our third poetry competition! You should very soon see in your local library a poster advertising Poetry on Loan’s 2017 poetry competition, open to anyone who lives, studies or works regularly in the West Midlands. If there’s no poster in your local library by June 1st, then feel free to tell them that there should be one!
The prize is, for adult entries, a paid performance as part of a Poetry on Loan event - so it’s really worth having a go! The junior prize winner will receive book tokens.
It’s free to enter, but it’s really important that you stick to the rules. These are given in detail here, but the main points are as follows:
- · All entries must be made through the Poetry on Loan Contact form. Put Poetry competition in the subject line.
- · All entries must follow this format, all in the message section:
- · Your name (this must be your real name)
- · Your date of birth
- · Your postcode
- · Your email address
- · Title of poem
- · Poem
- · You can enter up to 3 poems.
- · Poems must be on the theme of Onwards, upwards, freedom, but you can interpret this as imaginatively as you like. It could be about nature, or human endeavour, or slavery, or it could be… well, surprise us!
- · Poems must be a maximum of 20 lines long.
- · All entries must be submitted by 1st September 2017.
- · All entries must be previously unpublished poems, and must be your own original work.
The competition opens on June 1st, and we will not accept any entries before that date. Why not start writing your poem now, so it will be ready for the opening date?